The life I live....



I'm a music lover who at the end of the day wants to feel as if she lived that day the best she could. Creating an amazing meal, hanging out with the amazing people I call friends, rocking out to some amazing tunes, buying a great piece of clothing or wearing bright pink lipstick..... Im optimistic about life and highlighting the moments that make it unique....

24 September 2011

Date night.....

Dan and I don't go on many dates anymore. Me being gluten free means that going out to restaurants isn't too much fun. I don't like having to constantly eat salads, or to ask for my meal with many, many substitutions.....so we choose to cook dinner every night. Also, it's healthier and more fun for us.

Last night however we went to our new "favorite" eatery, Vertical Diner. It's a diner in a very weird part of town. If you didn't know it was there already you would NEVER find it. It's a restaurant where I know I can eat a majority of the menu and they are soooo nice and helpful. The diner has this very nostalgic feeling. All the people there make you feel like you are at home with your family and friends. The lighting also adds. It's dim. Both times we have gone there however there have been bugs. First encounter was with a daddy long legs that had been covered in dust and had been missing a few legs. I grew up with my father always telling me to never kill a daddy long legs, so I took it into my own hands to save the little guy and take him outside and place him on a flower. I sure hope he survived. Last night there was a case of a few fruit flies around our table. Nothing too crazy though and personally I think it adds to the natural feeling of the place, but don't say I never told you if you decided to go there for a meal.


As usual, and I'm not sure why, I ordered a salad? My usual. Maybe because I am not used to being able to order other things, it was out of habit. I ordered the " Chef Grille Salad " with portabello mushroom.  I wanted to order chicken, but later found out because it's a only vegetarian restaurant the chicken isn't real chicken... its gluten. So, for your sake if you are gluten free - don't order the chicken. I had it served with their homemade lime vinaigrette and it was delicious!!!
Dan got a black bean burger with guacamole and cheese. What's really cool, is that they make all of their products, so the black bean burger was something they themselves put together. I tasted it and it was wonderful! I highly suggest.



We also decided to get a side of their " spicy fries " with their homemade ranch dressing which were very spicy! Usually I am afraid of ranch dressing, but because the woman said it was vegan I wasn't so spooked and ended up loving it. Yum Yum Yum. Another plus is that they serve liquor. Glasses of wine are only 3 dollars, yes I said 3 dollars and nice full strength beers are around 4-6. Not bad ladies and gentleman.

Dan and I are not always ones to grab dessert after meals, and because I am gluten free there is not much I can choose. Our server however said that she was gluten free as well and that they have just started serving gluten free ice cream sandwiches. All I can say is AMAZING! They themselves make the chocolate cookies and stuff them with raspberry ice cream and roll them in coconut... uhhhhhh soooo gooood. I will be going back just for that! The cookies are so big that you can share them with someone else as well......What's better than ending the night with an ice cream sandwich and a tall boy ( for people who aren't gluten free ) or a glass of red wine..... :) Enjoy!



Vertical Diner
2280 S West Temple
Salt Lake City, UT 84115-2631
(801) 484-8378