The life I live....



I'm a music lover who at the end of the day wants to feel as if she lived that day the best she could. Creating an amazing meal, hanging out with the amazing people I call friends, rocking out to some amazing tunes, buying a great piece of clothing or wearing bright pink lipstick..... Im optimistic about life and highlighting the moments that make it unique....

24 February 2012

Bluegrass and Hockey.

Last night I went to a blue grass show with my parents at a local venue called " The State Room."
It was so much fun. I haven't been to a blue grass show with my parents in years.
When I was younger that was our family tradition.
Music festivals and camping.
Boy do I miss those days, but last night made me realize how much I love my parents and how lucky I was to have those experiences when I was younger.
It doesn't seem that many people did and I realize now it shaped me into the person I am today.

So, first off let me begin with this;
My parents are serious music lovers and go to probably as many shows I do, which I find incredible.
Of course my parents are the nerds who need to be first in line in order to get their "favorite" seats so yes, we arrived an hour early.
It gave us good time to catch up and for me to see them in their musical element.
I can't tell you how many people my parents know just from going to shows.
It was absolutely hilarious and adorable to see them interacting with tons of folks their age all talking about music and cracking jokes left and right.
People would ask my parents where the best seats to sit were, and the best beer to buy.
I'm a proud daughter. I am.

Pre-show photo op:

( This was the best I could do, my dad doesn't like taking photos....and of course knowing my mother she is cringing knowing I am posting this photo, but guess what mom.... you're beautiful! )

Opening act was a female singer who I can't say I loved.
I felt like every song she played sounded the same and sadly bored me.
However, once Tim came up and duet ed with her... it was music to my ears.


After her set there was a short little intermission.
It was wonderful.
 During the break a friend of mine that I haven't seen in ages stopped over to say "hi."
It was funny.
We were both there with our parents and let me tell you, her and I were the youngest ones there by a good 30  years.
Two 24 year olds in a sea of grey hair... just picture that. Ha.
Still makes me laugh.
She was beautiful and captivating as always and if you read this Gemma, it was so good to see you!

Then, the man came on.
Tim O'Brien.



Tim was amazing.
His voice is flawless and perfect.
His music is fun and chirpy.
Not to mention he made the room howl in laughter with each story and joke he told.
Here are a few that I loved:
" What is red but smells like blue paint?"
- Red Paint. I'm doing a service project.
" Is it tomato or tomatoe?"
- Is what is tomato or tomatoe?
** Also I understand you would not find these jokes funny if you weren't there... so bare with me and believe me that they were really funny. He also had a good joke about a drunk man who crawled home and the punch line ended in something about him leaving his wheelchair at the bar...**

His music is influenced from music all over the world which is what created the awe.
He played a ton of different types of guitars and mandolin's, but my favorite by far was the fiddle.
I can tell you right now, I'm obsessed with the fiddle.

Surrounded by beer burps and the stomping of every one's feet in the room I can say that was a great memory I will keep with me forever.
There is something magical when a man with only a microphone and a guitar can cause a sold out show to stomp their feet to an imaginary beat and we are all connected in that moment.
I know that sounds corny, but I do find it moving.
I ALWAYS without a doubt stomp to the beat of a song I hear or tap my fingers or hands to the beat in my head. Its that act you automatically make when you can FEEL the music within yourself.

Let me end you with this little gem of an image.
My parents sharing a pair of binoculars, yes binoculars to watch Tim play his guitar.
Let me tell you, we were only 20 feet from the man, but it's a constant that they participate in when going to shows.
They explain to me every time, how much they love to see exactly how the artist at the time is playing each instrument, and actually when I think about it it's pretty awesome that they care so much about how the music is made that they want to get as close to the hands performing as they can.
However, I don't want to look like an idiot, so I always pass on the offer.

And to the hockey.
Last night the Wings played the Vancouver Canucks.
They are the closest in scoring averages and are the best two teams to watch when it comes to rivalry.
Sadly, my father and I could not watch the game so a good friend of mine humored us by keeping us updated on every goal and memorable play of the game.
Text from Nick: Daniel Sedin just tied it up with 15.4 seconds left!!!!!
My father and I after we read the bad news via phone: " Damn it!"
Yes, we tried our best to keep our hockey feelings to minimum while the show played, but we ended up being more vocal than we wanted. I think that might have to do with the fact my father has no idea how to whisper.

The show ended and my parents walked me to my car.
" This is my baby girl!" my dad kept telling people as we walked....
It's touching when your parent's, especially your father wants to show you off ...
I love you mom and dad!
I couldn't honestly ask for any two greater people to be my parents!
I had a blast last night and I am already looking forward to the next show I can see with them in the future.

LOVE.
XOXO.